ST PAUL’S WOMEN’S CENTRE – LUSAKA: 11/06/2022 –The United Church of Zambia Lusaka Presbytery has unveiled a newly registered firm to spearhead all investment activities on behalf of the Church.
UCZ IN LUSAKA UNVEIL INVESTMENT FIRM
Lusaka Presbytery Bishop Rev Dr. Lordwell Siame said the new company called Umodzi investments, will be the special purpose vehicle through which all Church enterprises will be carried out for Lusaka Presbytery.
Bishop Siame said the Church in Lusaka has learnt some lessons from the negative side financial impact the Covid 19 pandemic has had on the Church and that the step to register a company is in a quest to shift from the traditional ways of mobilizing Church funds for mission.
He said there is need for the Church to expand its investment portfolios in response to the current economic trends which have negatively affected the lives of Church members.
Bishop Siame also thanked the United Church of Zambia Synod for providing the policy framework for Church investment at all levels.
He was speaking in Lusaka on Saturday 11th June, 2022 during an official handover of Umodzi Company to the Presbytery by the Investment committee.
And United Church of Zambia Lusaka Presbytery Investment Committee Convener, Moses Nawa said the registration of the company was a culmination of the wider consultation processes the committee undertook with Church members and leaders in the Presbytery.
Mr. Nawa said Lusaka Presbytery has promised to inject seed capital into Umodzi company for it to begin its business.
Speaking during the same occasion, Lusaka Lawyer, Amos Siwila said all the necessary legal documents for the company were in place and that the company can now begin its operations.
Mr. Siwila who helped the Presbytery with the legal processes of the company registration handed over the company documents to the Presbytery Bishop on behalf of the investment Committee.
And Investment Committee member, Beatrice Namwila has expressed happiness that dream to have an investment firm for the Church in Lusaka Presbytery has become a reality.
Umodzi Company is a by shares and Lusaka Lusaka Presbytery will own up to 90 percent shares in the company. The remaining 10 percent will be sold to the members of the public.