THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED CHURCH OF ZAMBIA IN NORTH WESTERN PROVINCE
The United Church of Zambia (UCZ) in North-Western Province started in 1975 by a group of already established members in the UCZ who came to Solwezi for work. This group comprised of United National Independent Party (UNIP) officials of the Central Committee who headed the province. At the same time, people like honorable BouticeKapalu MCC and honorable Beyani MCC were members of the group. The group also comprised civil servants, parastatal workers, missionaries and expatriates. Notably were Roy and Joyce a couple, and teachers at Solwezi Secondary School who were instrumental in organizing and coordinating the members.
The group used to congregate in the St Alban Temple, now Anglican but due to too many denominations congregating there, a problem of ownership of the temple arose and the group left and began congregating at community development within Solwezi. The group began to diminish and lose membership as a result of members being transferred.
Meanwhile, Rev Mpundu of Nchanga congregation who facilitated the opening of Solwezi congregation was later replaced by Rev Siatwiinda who came on transfer to Solwezi. At this point Solwezi congregation was officially established.
The church spread to other districts in the province and the following congregations were formed:
- Solwezi Congregation under Rev. Siatwiinda
- Kasempa Congregation under Evangelist Muteba
- Kabompo Congregation under Rev. Sampa Bret
- Zambezi Congregation under Evangelist Namindo
- Maheba Congregation under Rev. Kapuka also Chiwempala congregation Chairman with Rev. Dalimphor from Mindolo and a member of United Nations.
- Mwinilunga congregation under Evangelist Muteba.
After a while Rev. Saitwiinda was moved from Solwezi and was replaced by Rev. B. Chibende. Before long, Evangelist R.I Simwase was moved from Kasempa to Solwezi congregation to take over from Rev. Chibende.
The membership continued to increase in all the congregations in the province such that by 1981, the North Western Consistory was formed under the Copperbelt Presbytery with Rev. Sikazwe.
Later Rev. Simwase left for Mindolo Theological College for further training there was a leadership vacuum, but after a while Rev. P.K Lombe was moved to Solwezi. After Rev Lombe was transferred, Rev. E. Mwenya tookover and was later replaced by Rev. P.K Mutombo, the later came Rev. J.C. Mufunda.
Meanwhile, the church continued to grow numerically as a good number of preaching points were established in all congregations.
In 1991, North Western consistory qualified to be called a Presbytery under Rev. Bishop Margaret Miller who was the first Bishop of North Western Presbytery as Rev J.C Mufunda was the Presbytery secretary, while Mr. G. Mugala was Treasurer. The Presbytery was divided as follows:
- Solwezi Consistory – Rev J.C. Mufunda as Chairperson
- Mwinilunga Consistory –Evangelist Muselepete Chairperson
- Kasempa/Mufumbwe Consistory – Rev. Kunda Chairperson
- Zambezi / Kabompo Consistory – Simunyola
In the initial formation of the UCZ in North Western, there was a problem of accommodation i.e., a place of worshipas well as a residence for church workers. Many congregations depended on government institutions like schools for a place of worship. The church faced a lot of hardships which made the congregations to move from one place to another.
FORMER AND CURRENT BISHOPS, SECRETARIES AND TREASURERS IN THE PRESBYTERY
- Bishop Margaret Miller 1991- 1995
- Bishop Dawson Kunda 1996 – 2003
- Bishop Silvia Mukuka 2004- 2011
- Bishop David Mujumila 2012- 2015
- Bishop Moses Gondwe 2016 to date
2.1. PRESBYTERY SECRETARIES
- J.C Mufunda 1991 – 1995
- Chifwelu (late) 1996 – 2001
- S. Mulenga 2002 – 2007
- J. Liswaniso 2008 – 2011
- Kindaba 2012 – 2015
- R. Kanchele 2016 to date
- G. Mugala 1991
- Miss R. Mutantabowa
- Nyambe (late) –
- T.T. Kabandama 2004 – 2007
- F. Musonda 2008 – 2011
- T.T. Kabandama 2012 – 2015
- Bowa 2016 to date
3.0.MINISTERS SERVING IN THE PRESBYTERY
NAME CONGREGATION AND DISTRICT
- Rev. Moses Chitundu. (1)Trinity and Kasapa (Solwezi and Mushindamo)
- Rev. Chilongu Mwenya Hamwiinga. (2)Butemwe and Muzabula (Solwezi)
- Rev. Howard Hamwiinga. (3)Kyawama and Kimiteto (Solwezi and Mushindamo)
- Rev. Dickson Msukwa. (4)Tumwvanganai and Mutanda (Kalumbila)
- Rev. Nebby Chanda. (5)Mushitala and Kamitonte (Solwezi)
- Rev. Mubanga Mulenga. (6)Ebenezer (Solwezi)
- Deaconess Manda.
- Rev. Timothy Muke. (8)St. Pauls (Kasempa)
- Rev. Cephas Ngoma. (9)St. Margate (Kasempa)
- Rev. Titus Chele. (10)Mufumbwe (Mufumbwe)
- Rev. Kasuma Chali. (11)Kabompo (Kabompo)
- Rev. Mwelwa Mofya. (12)Manyama (Kalumbila)
- Rev. Josephine Katuna. (13)Kisasa (Kalumbila)
- Rev. Alfred Chaile. (14)Kalumbila (Kalumbila)
- Rev. Kelvin Mumba. (15)Mwinilunga (Mwinilunga)
- Rev. Clever Simukoko. (16)Chavuma (Chavuma )
- Rev. Changwe Musonda. (17)All Saints (Zambezi)
GEOGRAPHICAL POSITION AND SIZE OF PRESBYTERY
The Presbytery stretches from Solwezi to Chavuma, covering a distance of 600 Km between the two districts. It also shares its boundaries with Angola and Congo DR on its western side, while on its Northern side it shares borders with the CopperbeltPresbytery. While in the eastern side the presbytery shares borders with the western presbytery. The geographical position is of course a great challenge, taking into consideration the far distances between consistories. Despite the distance challenge the presbytery is endowed with a lot of mineral deposits making mining the main stay of economic activities.The province is also covered by vast forests thereby contributing largely to the timber and honey production. Furthermore the presbytery boasts of having the best pineapples in the region.
All in all, North Western presbytery is the land flowing with honey and pineapple juice.
The Presbytery is divided into seven consistories and they are as follows-
Zambezi/Chavuma, Kabompo,Mufumbwe,Mwinilunga, Kasempa, Solwezi West and Solwezi East.
- Bishop. Rev. Moses Gondwe – Chairperson
- Rev. Roy Kanchele – Secretary
- Mrs. PriscarBowa – Treasurer
5.2 COMMITTEE CONVENORS
- Mr. Charles Chunda – MCF
- Mrs. Jessie M. Liswaniso- WCF
- Rev. Saviour Chipendano – Youth
- Rev. Mwenya C. Hamwiinga – Stewardship
- Rev. NebbyChanda – Lay preachers
- Rev. Alfred Chaile – C. R. R.
- Rev. Moses Chitundu – D.W.E.
- Moses Chapakwenda – C. T. C.
- Rev. Royce M. Siuluta – Hepeta
- Rev. Howard Hamwiinga – Fundraising
- Deaconess Audrey Manda – Social Service
- Mr. Nkoma – C.P.D.C.
- Rev, Roy Kanchele – Communication
Currently, the Presbytery staff placements stand as follows:
- Rev. NamwilaKatona – Zambezi
- Rev.Namwila J. Katuna – Chavuma
- Rev. Alfred K. Chaile – Kabompo
- Rev. Royce M. Siuluta – Mufumbwe
- Rev. NebbyChanda – Kasempa
- Rev. Moses M. Chapakwwenda – Mwinilunga
- Rev.SaviourChipendano – Manyama
- Judith N. Nondo – Butemwe
- Rev. Roy Kanchele – Trinity
- Rev. Hamwiinga Howard – Mushitala
- Rev. Mwenya C. Hamwiinga – Tumvwanganai
- Rev. Moses Chitundu – Kyawama
- Joseph. Sashi–Ikelenge
- Deaconess Audrey Manda – Mutanda
|4. MEMBERSHIP STATISTICS|
|CONSISTORY||COMMUNICANT MEMBERS MALE \ FEMALE||CATECHUMEN||ADHERENTS||CHILDREN||TOTAL|
In the quest to realize the wider vision of The United Church of Zambia through the annual theme,“Revive Thy Work Oh Lord,” the Presbytery has been involved in a number of spiritual enhancing programmes. Notable ones being the revival meetings held during the revival week and, Prayer and Fasting programmes conducted in congregations. Furthermore, annual retreats are observed in all consistories, while bible studies (Wednesday) are observed with attendance in some congregations not good. It is our prayer that the theme for the year will help us to grow the church in almost all areas. e.g. the youth, MCF, WCF and choirs.
WOMEN’S CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP (W.C.F.)
The group has continued to grow both numerically and spiritually. The annual renewals have continued to take place. The Presbytery has 679 WCF members.
MEN’S CHRISTIAN FELOWSHIP
The MCF group activities are progressing well and a good number of men are interested in joining the group. Rededications are observed in most consistories with a good number of men being rededicated. With the great need for evangelism in the church, the MCF has always been available to champion this cause in our Presbytery.
The Presbytery has a total membership of 3441 youths, drawn from Girls and Boys brigade, choirs, praise teams and Sunday school. In most consistories all groups are there though some are not very active.
- Mushitala, Tumvwanganai and Kabompo church buildings have been completed and officially opened.
- Manyama congregation has completed the construction of the church building awaiting official opening.
- Mwinilunga and Trinity congregations are in the process of beginning the construction of bigger church buildings.
- Kyawama is also making final touches on the Manse
- The Bishop’s manse renovations are almost complete.
The Mumena Farm Retreat Centre is at wall plate level with funds being available we hope to continue with the remaining works. Furthermore in within presbytery Solwezi East consistory has a farm land in the Kabilangwa area, in Chief Kapijimpanga area.
In partnership with the Zambian government, the Northwestern presbytery oversees the running of a clinic called Jagaimo which is based in Meheba Refugee Camp.Currently, this clinic has one clinical officer, one nurse and two support staff.
|MAILING LIST FOR NORTH WESTERN PRESBYTERY||
|TELEPHONE / E-mails|
|1||Bishop: Rev. M. Gondwe||Box 110085||Solwezi||Tel: 08 – 821412 Cell: 0966 – 724539
0971 – 594504
|2||Secretary: Rev. Kanchele Roy||Box 110085||Solwezi||Cell: 0955-128558 ,
0967- 578181, 0977- 468945,
|3||Treasurer: Mrs. PriscarBowa||Box 110085||Solwezi||Cell: 0962 302155 email@example.com|
|CHURCH WORKERS & SYNOD MINISTERS|
|4||REV. HOWARD HAMWIINGA||BOX 110342||SOLWEZI||0955/0967/0977 311244 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|5||REV. MWENYA C. HAMWIINGA||Box 110085||SOLWEZI||0965 751199 / 0976 897321
|6||REV. JOYCE N. NONDO||Box 110085||SOLWEZI||0975 739800 email@example.com|
|7||REV. CHIPENDANO||Box 110085||MANYAMA||0962 864628 / 0971 630098 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|8||REV. CHAPAKWENDA M. M.||BOX 160029||MWINILUNGA||0955 / 0971 / 0966 767258
|9||REV. JOSEPH SASHI||Box 160029||IKELENGE||0966 / 0977 428808
|10||REV. NEBBY CHANDA||Box 180059||KASEMPA||0979 269031 email@example.com|
|11||REV. ROYCE SIULUTA||MUFUMBWE||0974 335681 0975 00422 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|12||REV. ALFRED CHAILE||KABOMPO||0964 212483 email@example.com|
|13||REV. KATUNA||Box 100114||ZAMBEZI||0979 529977
|14||REV. MOSES CHITUNDU||KYAWAMA||0976 648591
|15||DEACONESS AUDREY MANDA||MUTANDA||0976 919925 / 0966 129291 / 0955413320 firstname.lastname@example.org|